Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Treadmill Running Tips and Tricks


So it's been raining here for the past week. This makes marathon training extremely difficult. I love running outside, but when I can't do it due to weather conditions, I move onto the treadmill. Most people find that running outside is easier than running on the treadmill. This is because your brain freaks out because of the fact that you are running, but not actually going anywhere. But running on the treadmill does have its benefits, especially if you can't go outside due to rain (Apparently its the rain season here in DC).

The treadmill and running in general has a bigger learning curve than the elliptical. I didn’t think it’d be something I’d need to “get the hang of,” but it’s not easy as just stepping on the treadmill and pushing the start button.

Here are a few basic treadmill running tips for beginners.

These are things that I discovered when I first started running. These tips shouldn’t be a revelation to anybody who has been running for any length of time, but if you’re new to the treadmill (and/or running) you should definitely take them into consideration.

Just breathe. Maintain steady, deep breathing while you’re running. It may seem basic, but sometimes when I’ve been running for more than 30 seconds and I’m concentrating on uh, running, I’ll forget to breathe.

And when you forget to breathe, running and functioning becomes difficult.

Inhale. Exhale. Repeat.

Walk tall. Don’t slouch or curve your back. It’s especially tempting to slouch and lean forward (a lot) when you’re going against an incline. It's also common to want to look down when running, most of the time to see how much time you have left (I am very guilty of this). This could effect your running posture and could potentially result in injury.

Keep your feet low.
You don’t want to scrape the bottom of your feet against the treadmill every time you take a step, but you also don’t want to take your feet a foot (feet a foot, what?) off the machine. Just keep a low, steady, “piercing stab” so to speak with your feet and make fast, low, quick forward snaps with your feet underneath you.

Swing your arms. Don’t use the handles on the treadmill machine. The handles on the machine are for safety purposes. Also by not using handles and swinging your arms you’ll burn more calories, keep your posture upright, and feel more natural. While it’s hard enough transitioning from running on a treadmill to the ground as it is, a handle only creates are a larger deficit to overcome later down the road.

Hydrate.
Drinking water is very essential while working out. I have found a good measure for me is between 10 – 20 oz of water per hour of running, depending on how hot and humid it is. I try to start increasing my water intake a few hours before I plan to run, then cut back about 30 -45 minutes before, that way I don't have a "sloshy" stomach.

Look straight ahead.
Sometimes I try to look around the gym while I walk and I start wobbling on the treadmill. I also notice that if I look to the side while I walk, my posture deteriorates.

Bend your knees. Don’t walk/run like you have a pirate leg. Not only is it bad form, but it could cause serious injury depending on the speed you’re running at on the treadmill.

Warm up and cool down
. Don’t jump on the treadmill and immediately start running. I stretch for about 2 or 3 minutes before I get on the treadmill. And, once I do step onto the treadmill, I’ll start an extremely slow speed (like 3.0) for about 5 minutes so that I am warm to run at my desired speed. The same applies to cooling down.

Also run at speed that that you feel comfortable at. You can work your way up to a higher pace as you get better at treadmill running (this is mostly for beginner runners). You don't want to get discouraged or injure yourself on your first time out on the treadmill.

Long socks.
I know you kids these days like those low socks, but be careful – your heal could get eaten up by the back of your shoes in as little as 5 minutes. I learned this proper shoe lesson the first day I went running (ask my mother!). By the time I felt any pain, I already had a blister the size of a quarter on the back of my heel.

Then the stinging came. Oh, how the stinging came. If this does happen to you, I would wait a day to do any exercising and then place band-aids on them before you plan to workout again.

Have a good pair of running shoes. Gump had a good pair. I have a good pair of running shoes. So should you — your ankles, feet, and back will thank you after every workout.

These are just some basic tips that I have discovered. Please post others in the comment section below if anyone has any!

2 comments:

  1. This is really helpful. The only thing I wanna give advice on is to stretch after you warm up. Stretching cool muscles isn't helpful and doesn't provide a good stretch, so you're still at risk of pulling or straining yourself. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Britt! That's great advice!

    ReplyDelete