Monday, May 16, 2011

Fiesta Fun: Ground Turkey Tacos



This is one of my classic staple dishes. When I started loosing weight I decided to first make this dish, and I still keep it in my diet. I don't really eat meat that often, but I eat this still every once in a while when I feel like I need protein.

Ingredients
Serving Size: 2 Servings (2 Huge Tacos)
Calories: 320
1/2 lb. Ground Turkey (such as Jenny-O Ground Trukey)
1/4 of Large or Medium Yellow/Sweet Onion
1 Tbl Chili Powder
1 Tbl Garlic Powder
4 6' corn tortillas (around 65 calories per tortilla)

Optional

1/4 cup reduced fat Mexican Blend Cheese
Lettuce
1/4 of a Large or Medium Tomato Chopped
Salsa or Tapatio

When I get home from the supermarket, I normally cut my 1 lb ground turkey in half, put them both in plastic bags and stick one in the fridge and the other in the freezer for later. This way you have just the right amount of meat for this recipe, and can make it again in the later weeks ;).

Heat up a nonstick skillet pan on medium-high heat. Chop up the onion into pieces and place them in the hot pan. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until the onion starts to slightly brown. Add ground turkey into the pan with the onion and sprinkle the chili and garlic powder on the meat and onion. Brown meat until cooked all the way through. Since you are working with ground turkey, there wont be really any grease to drain (which is super awesome!)

Heat up another skillet pan on medium-high heat and place corn tortillas on them. Cook on each side around 1 to 2 minutes each. You have to heat up corn tortillas when working with them, otherwise they will just fall apart when you try to eat them. I like mine a little crispy, so if yours softer, heat them up in lesser time.

Place two warm corn tortillas on two separate plates. Evenly distribute ground turkey/onion mixture onto the 4 corn tortillas. If you want distribute cheese, Lettuce, tomato, and salsa/Tapatio over tacos. I normally use fresh spinach, just because that's what I normally have on hand in the fridge, but you can use any type of lettuce. I just take a couple of leaves and tear them up over the tacos. I like my tacos spicy so I use Tapatio, but salsa is also a healthy option that can be used as well.

I usually will eat these two huge yummy tacos for dinner, then store the other two for lunch at school the next day. They microwave incredibly well! The onion in the dish keeps the meat moist when it is microwaved, so it heats up just like it's freshly made. After telling my mom about this recipe, she makes it all the time. It's a guilt free way of eating Mexican Food!

320 Calories include the following toppings: Cheese, lettuce, tomato, and Tapatio. Salsa may add a couple of calories to the dish, but not that much to make a huge difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment